Slipping Away

"You look so like your mother."

"I know, Auntie Cath." Jules let her mind slip away from those words, her facial expression the only part of her still in that conversation.

At least it wasn't Auntie Robyn, calling after a few too many drinks wanting to hear Jules speak in a voice too close to her mother's.

"I don't know why you and Terry don't come visit more often. We've got the pool and I know the kids'd love to see you both."

Because you all want a talisman, a reminder of her. Jules worried at her fingernail. God, why didn't she let Suze come to this. She felt bolder with Suze.

"Are you looking after yourself? You know she wouldn't want you hiding away."

Jules bristled behind her smile. How dare she! Impossible words to spit out at an aunt - she was still Ruth's daughter - but god dammit!

"I'm not hiding." Her words bit out. "I do things."

"Are you seeing anyone?"

Jules lined her toes up, flexing them at the edge of the cliff. Mentally she felt for Suze's fingers.

"I've been seeing Suze."

She knew the exact moment Cath's mind slipped away from those words.

No comments:

Post a Comment